Thank you for watching and participating in this retreat!
We’re sorry, but the speaker only allowed us to use his content for a limited time and that time has expired. We hope you enjoy the other videos that are a part of this lenten retreat.
Not Registered, yet? Don’t miss the rest of the talks! Register for the Pray More Retreat!
Reflective Study Guide Questions
“We grow from spiritual childhood into adolescence and finally move into a mature spiritual adulthood.”St. Thomas Aquinas
- Things — and people — reach their perfection when they grow into and become what they were created to be. For example, Matthew Leonard mentions that a seed is perfected when it becomes a tree. Knowing, then, that you were created to be in union with God — in Heaven and here on earth too, how does this change your course in life? Are there things you need to change in your life to become perfected — more in union with God, and to become the person you were created to be?
- The choices we make everyday either move us closer to God or further away from God. What choices have you made today that have done either of those things? How can you change those in the future?
- Matthew Leonard says the reason that it’s important to know the three stages of the spiritual life is because you need to know where you are in order to know where you’re going. Where are you in the three stages of the spiritual life? What did you do to get there? What more do you need to do to get further along to be closer to God?
- The Sacraments are designed by God to help us get into a state of grace. They help us enter and move through these three stages of the spiritual life. Which of the Sacraments do you most receive? Which ones could you receive more of this Lent?
- You cannot separate spiritual growth and prayer. This Lent, how can you incorporate more prayer into your life? And remember: however you choose to do this is something that also hopefully affects your life after Lent. Don’t think of Lent as just a season to get through and get over with as soon as possible. This time should be used as an opportunity to truly transform your heart and your life.
- Matthew Leonard reminds us that we need to be vigilant that the devil wants to do whatever possible to prevent us from progressing in the spiritual life. How can you be more intentionally aware of this moving forward?
About Matthew Leonard
Matthew Leonard is an internationally known speaker, author, podcaster, filmmaker, and Vice President of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology (founded by Dr. Scott Hahn). A convert to Catholicism and former missionary to Latin America, Matthew is a frequent guest on radio and television programs across the country appearing on SiriusXM, EWTN, CBS, and the Magnificat. He hosts a podcast on iTunes titled “The Art of Catholic.” Matthew is the Executive Producer and host of the best-selling Journey Through Scripture video series and is a featured speaker by Lighthouse Catholic Media. He also holds a Masters in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville. In addition to numerous articles, he is the author of two books, Louder Than Words: The Art of Living as a Catholic and Prayer Works! Getting A Grip On Catholic Spirituality. Matthew lives in Ohio with his wife Veronica and their five children.